I don’t cook many Asian dishes because I personally think it’s hard to master. Most good Asian cooks cook by touch, they can’t really tell you how long to cook something, how much of this and that to add, when it’s good or cook for how long. I’ve tried CharSiew and failed, tried sweet%sour pork and failed, tried easy chinese veg with oyster sauce and it turned out like grass.
My grandma and childhood domestic helper are the Asian Martha Steward and I bet many families grandmothers’ are too. If I knew back in the day that these recipes will be lost today, I would have learnt from them when I was much younger. Now, my grandmother’s taste buds are all over the map so she can’t cook anymore and I’ve lost contact with the domestic helper. So it’s too late for regret.
Recently, I discovered this group called TheMeatMen on Facebook and they re-create local Singapore Hawker dishes that you can cook at home. HOW AWESOME IS THAT! I was looking through the videos and it literally make me drool that I have to catch my saliva. They mainly do Asian dishes which I really love because it is a struggle to find good asian recipe sites. I’ve tried CharSiew and failed, tried sweet%sour pork and failed, tried easy Chinese veg with oyster sauce and it turned out like grass.
Anyway, I decided to try this one out. It looked really easy and I was able to find all the ingredients here as well so that’s a plus. Also, this is so quick to make that it’s perfect for a weekday dinner 🙂
Don’t forget that egg, it’s the best part of the dish.
Easy Thai Basil Chicken
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Yield: 3 Servings
- 7 oz of Minced Chicken, preferably dark meat
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 chili padi, sliced and pound with a mortar and pastel
- 1 ½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sweet soy sauce
- 0.7oz thai basil leaves, cut into 3 sections
- dash of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon of white sugar
- 3 Eggs, fried hard
- Rice to serve
- Add a tablespoon of canola oil into a deep skillet over med-high heat
- Add shallots and garlic. Fry till fragrant.
- Add minced chicken and fry till cooked. try to break up the pieces as small as possible
- Add fish sauce and sweet soy sauce.
- Mix well and add chili padi
- Add sugar and pepper, mix well
- Add basil and fry till till basil wilts.
- Serve with a fried egg and over rice.
Recipe from TheMeatMen