Hope all of you had a splendid time over the holidays with family and friends. I had the best time with Pat’s family in Ontario and could not ask for anything more. It’s like going back home but only it’s away from home. A very comforting feeling for me especially since I don’t have much family here since moving.
Anyway, sorry for the slight distraction cause just take a look at that sexy loaf… Isn’t it very pretty?
You may be thinking that I spent quite a bit of time and worked my kitchen aid on it, right?
Well the truth is that…I spent a total of 5 mins max putting the ingredients together. That’s it. Time did the rest of the work and it’s especially good to do this on weekdays and want to put something together without much effort like Chili/ Stew + Bread.
Make it the night before you go to bed and bake it when you get home while you make the main dish. The secret to it is the dutch oven. The lid helps to seal in the steam while it bakes.
True, you can just go to the store and buy a loaf but why do that when you can make this and make yourself feel like you’re a god damn good chef when it comes out looking like that.
I would suggest that you allow a couple hours (like 2) for it to cool down till its warm before cutting. I did it once right after it came out and trust me, the steam from the bread isn’t very kind to your skin.
Also, be careful of the hot dutch oven. I have held onto the hot lid by mistake more than once and still haven’t learn my lesson.
No Knead Artisan Bread
Yield: 1 Loaf
Prep Time: 5 minutes (no kidding)
Stand time: 18.5 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1½ cups luke-warm water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- Combine all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk to combine them evenly.
- Using a wooden spoon, slowly add water and mix until a shaggy dough is formed. Don’t worry about getting it evenly mixed.
- Cover with cling wrap and leave on the counter overnight. The dough will rise and bubble.
- When you are ready to bake. put the empty dutch oven into the oven and set it to 450F. ( my dutch oven is 3 quart/2.9L in size)
- Dump out the dough on a heavily floured surface and form it into a ball shape. It will be sticky so flour your surface accordingly.
- Cover with cling wrap and let it rest for half hour.
- After half hour, carefully remove dutch oven and place the dough in the dutch oven. ( I usually slide out the oven rack and ‘drop’ the dough cause I am too short and its easier that way)
- Cover dutch oven with lid and let it bake for 30 mins. ( Can’t stress enough to WEAR OVEN MITTS!)
- Then remove the lid and let the bread brown for 15 mins.
- Remove dutch oven from the oven.
- With oven mitts, carefully dump out the bread and transfer to cooling rack till warm to touch.
Recipe from TheBakerChick